Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Jenn's Review: Clockwork Princess

Blurb: A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

 Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

 As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

Review:  Clockwork Princess is the last of the Infernal Devices so I expected a lot from it... it delivered and went way beyond my wildest dreams.  It changed my perspective on the Mortal Instruments series so much so that I immediately plunged back into the first three books.  (I was tempted to start City of Fallen Angels, but with book six of the Mortal Instruments series not publishing until next year, I am trying to hold off until I can read the last 3 all the way through.)  I just can't get enough of Shadowhunters.

There were so many details I wanted resolved and Cassandra Clare touched on them all, including some things I never thought of... I laughed, I cried, I sobbed, I gasped.  The one thing I was beyond thrilled about was the family tree that is included in this book; I am still pouring over it with fascination.  It was interesting to see the effect this generation of Shadowhunters has on generations to come... and how wrong things can go. It would be interesting to gain the perspective of the Infernal Devices generation on all that has come to pass...

I fell in love with these characters along the way and it was hard to let them go.  The epilogue took me a while to digest.  For a while I thought that I'd rather she hadn't written it at all, but then I realized I would have missed the closure it provided, even if it was hard to see things come full circle.  Honestly, I can't imagine a better ending.

Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunter books have made my list of all time favorites.  I will be sad to see the end of it next year, but at the same time I can't wait to find out how everything works out.

Final Take:  5/5

  Share/Bookmark

No comments: