Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Jenn's Review: Magyk

 Burb:  The seventh son of the seventh son, aptly named Septimus Heap, is stolen the night he is born by a midwife who pronounces him dead. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across a bundle in the snow containing a new born girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take this helpless newborn into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus?

Review:  This has been on my TBR pile for a while.  It's been a long time since I've read a straight out fantasy.  I don't think I realized it until now but most of the fantasy I read could be classified as urban-fantasy. Even Harry Potter and the Iron Fey start in the real world... I think the last outright fantasy might be a Diana Wynne Jones book... but I digress.  Magyk is pure fantasy, and pure enjoyment.

I adored getting to know the Heap family.   Though the series title somewhat gives away the ending, it was still fun to watch the characters unravel the mystery.  I loved Jenna and how her newfound identity did not keep her from sticking to her upbringing.  Ms. Sage does not get bogged down in details, but gives you just enough to create and image and pique the readers interest.  Though there were threads of the story that fell victim to the central story, I thought Angie Sage found an interesting way of putting all of the side stories to rest in her epilogue.  Honestly, if she'd included everything, the book would have been very cumbersome indeed.  I don't know that I became overly attached to one character over another, but I found all of them fascinating.

This will be a fun series read that I can see reading to/with my daughter in a few years.  It's one that's got me thinking about it long after turning the last page.  I can't wait to see where Angie Sage takes us.  Things were pretty neatly wrapped up by the end of the book, but there are definitely more adventures to be had and I look forward to exploring all of them.

Final Take:  4/5

Share/Bookmark  Google+

No comments: