Thursday, November 21, 2013

Jenn's Review: Deadly Heat

 Blurb:  Picking up where Frozen Heat left off, top NYPD Homicide Detective Nikki Heat pursues the elusive former CIA station chief who ordered the execution of her mother over a decade ago. For the hunt, Nikki teams once again with her romantic partner, Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Jameson Rook, and their quest for the old spy and the motive behind the past murder unearths an alarming terror plot-which is anything but ancient history. It is lethal. It is now. And it has already entered its countdown phase.

Complicating Heat's mission to bring the rogue spy to justice and thwart the looming terror event, a serial killer begins menacing the Twentieth Precinct and her homicide squad is under pressure to stop him, and soon. The frightening murderer, known for his chilling stealth, not only has singled out Nikki as the exclusive recipient of his taunting messages, he then boldly names his next victim: Detective Heat.

Review:  As a Castle fanatic, this is a must read for me.  I have said it before and I'll write it again, this is an awesome franchise idea -television author, real books.  Although the story within a story thing continues to blow my mind.

I love the fictionalized versions of the fictional characters and I must say, the 12th precinct feels a little more real in the novels than it does on screen.  Although I can't help wonder whether the last novel was my favorite because the Rook and Heat romance was where the Castle and Beckett one had yet to venture.  Now with Castle and Beckett being together it kind of outshines Rook and Heat.

While I enjoy the novels in their own right, the last one, Frozen Heat, felt a little more independent of the television series than this one.  Not that I didn't enjoy it on it's own merit, but I knew where the plot twists were headed with very few surprises.  Still, it kept me turning pages.

Next up in my Castle-mania will be the recent Derrick Storm novel.  Yes, I love me some Castle!

Final Take:  4/5

Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: