Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Julie's Review: Food


Author: Jim Gaffigan
Series: None
Publication Date: October 21, 2014
Publisher: Random House Audio
Length: 7 Hours, 17 Minutes
Obtained: purchased
Genre:  Memoir, Comedy
Rating: 5.0
Bottom Line: Hilarious look at American's food habits
Grab, Just get it at the library, or Remove from your TBR list? Grab!
Summary: What are my qualifications to write this book? None really. So why should you read it? Here’s why: I’m a little fat. If a thin guy were to write about a love of food and eating I’d highly recommend that you do not read his book." Bacon. McDonalds. Cinnabon. Hot Pockets. Kale. Stand-up comedian and author Jim Gaffigan has made his career rhapsodizing over the most treasured dishes of the American diet ("choking on bacon is like getting murdered by your lover") and decrying the worst offenders ("kale is the early morning of foods"). Fans flocked to his New York Times best-selling book Dad Is Fat to hear him riff on fatherhood, but now, in his second book, he will give them what they really crave - his thoughts on all things culinary(ish). Insights such as: why he believes coconut water was invented to get people to stop drinking coconut water, why pretzel bread is number three on his most important inventions of humankind (behind the wheel and the computer), and the answer to the age-old question "which animal is more delicious: the pig, the cow, or the bacon cheeseburger?" ~audible.com

Review: Last week, I needed a laugh. All of the sudden a few things were going on and instead of starting an intense non-fiction, a friend suggested this one. Well for those of you out there in need of a good laugh, Food: A Love Story, is for you.

Since, Mr. Gaffigan is a comic he knows all about the delivery aspect of a line. He does this extremely well throughout the entire book. He riffs on our eating habits as Americans and food in general. Basically, he loves food. He'll eat pretty much anything except shellfish because it's like eating an insect.

The chapters aren't long and while I might not have died laughing, I was chuckling out loud, a lot. There are so many things that he says are true about how we eat and what we lie about eating. No one admits to eating McDonald's but we all do at some point.

While there are many great lines in this book, there are two that stand out for me:

"I'm an eattie, not a foodie". I laughed my butt off when he was going on about this phenomenon.
"Munchkins are the gateway donut." My kids love munchkins and so does my husband, so I found it particularly funny.

There is definitely something for everyone in this book. You might even see some of your own eating habits or maybe the way you approach food in here. Mr. Gaffigan is honest in his love for food and I appreciate that the most.


 Share/BookmarkGoogle+

2 comments:

Michelle said...

LOVE!!

I am so glad you enjoyed it. Also, aren't you glad to be living in Super Bowl Foodland? :)

Julie said...

Pretty much!